Wednesday, August 28, 2013

zombies, RUN!

J has always been a runner. I on the other hand, have detested it. Yes, I used to do a jive like nobodies business. But for the life of me, I can not run. 

In the ninth grade I found out I have exercise induced asthma and have let that hold me back from a lot of things. I got comfortable with the way I was and since my body was so used to dancing, asthma only TRULY kicked in while I did other activities. 

One of the things J has always looked forward to about marriage was being able to run with his wife. 

Whoops. Insert guilt. 

After months and months of thought, I had a change of heart and decided, okay, I guess can do this one teeny tiny thing for him - that will actually benefit myself. 

So I decided, why not. We found this app a couple months ago called "Zombies, RUN!". It literally starts at square one, for the beginning-est of beginners and trains you for a 5k. You go on different "missions" as you train to fight in the war against Zombies. 

For starters it has you walk for 10 minutes to get your heart rate up but they tell you not to push yourself. You then do ten drills of walking for a minute and running for 15 seconds. After that you have a 10 minute free run where you can run, jog, or walk at your leisure. The missions get progressively harder but if you're not ready to move on, you don't have to! Pretty easy huh?

You can also look at a map and see what music made you run the fastest and look at the "track" you ran. It's pretty cool!

If you know me at all, you know that I am the worlds best when it comes to procrastination. I am also lazy. We got that app in May... and it's now August. I'll come home from a long days work exhausted, and J will want to go running and I'm like, "ain't no body got time fo dat!" yeah, that phrase is used too much.

Well I finally gave in and we started last week. The first time was great! My body didn't know exactly what it was getting into. Second time, I didn't get as far, and my legs were complete jello. I barely made it back to the house before the end of it when the first time I had time to spare. 

But I did it! I am already noticing that I am sleeping better and feeling a lot better. I'm not as sluggish anymore, I have energy. I love it! Still not entirely in love with running, or in my case, walking/slow jogging but I'm just getting the hang of it. My body is still building the muscles it needs to and it's a bit painful, but I know I will be so much happier that stuck to it in the long run! 

So here I am reaching out to you to get off of the computer and go outside and run! Do what ever you need. Walk if you must! Heck! I think at this rate I'll still only be walking by November. But I'm DOING it.

This was me after yesterdays "mission". I'm one of those that gets a red face and body when I exercise. This was after five minutes of resting. I was a sweaty mess and I hated my life. Can someone say foot cramps, and chin splints? Plus it was the heat of the day and I hadn't been drinking much water. I felt like crap. 



But I feel better today! Yay for exercising!
{Yes, I'm just learning how to even spell that stupid word}

Until next time, 


1 comment:

  1. I love this! I totally need to start running, even though I hate it. Let's go together sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete